When 2012 rolled around, I knew it was going to be life-changing. Every year is. But I’d set myself up for lesson after lesson, moment after moment, and my world was just completely and utterly never the same. There are still (only?) two months left, but I have to share this lessons I’ve learned in just ten months.
Some are sad. Some are sweet. Some might make you laugh. But all, all are true.
1. Just when you think you’ve grown up, you grow up ten times more.
2. It only takes about 30 minutes to go from complete strangers to ridiculously good friends.
3. My sister still loves me.
4. Not everyone understands why you’d blog to connect, blog for free, blog because you can’t imagine not blogging. But that’s OK.
5. Living alone is not mildly anything. It’s terrifying.
6. If you want to stand on your couch, stand on it. It’s yours.
7. Community lies in our collective anxieties
8. There is no shame in working your butt off.
9. Nobody has it all figured out. No. Body.
10. People actually buy shoes because they’re cute.
11. It’s probably wise not to install a Target app on your iPhone. If, you know, you want to save money.
12. My sister had it right: wear sweats or make a concerted effort, but no in-between.
13. Just because I’m small doesn’t mean I can’t trash talk.
14. Friends who text at 1 a.m. are friends, even if you’ve never hugged them.
15. Suicide isn’t just a teen issue; it’s a human issue.
16. When you believe in something so much your stomach aches, people will sit up and listen.
17. You cannot die from excitement.
18. The Church is everywhere. And it loves you.
19. I should’ve been nicer to my mom all those years ago.
20. Doing yoga poses while watching an NFL game will have no bearing on the outcome.
21. Some books hold within them both tears and laughter.
22. You can walk a dog in the rain, even if you’ve never walked a dog before.
23. Not all eggplant parmesan sandwiches are created equal.
24. It takes less than three days to fall in love with a dog.
25. Just because you thought about a song, turned the radio on, and it was on doesn’t mean you’re psychic.
26. I don’t know the world. Not even a fraction of it.
27. My family knows me better than I’d like to believe.
28. Don’t make blueberry muffins if you don’t like blueberries.
29. No matter how many almonds you eat, your face can still break out if you’re stressed.
30. Pinterest is the only reason I actually know how to dress myself.
31. If the world ends in December, at least I learned how to organize my scarf collection.
32. A year ago, none of this was possible.
I’m seriously dying to know: what did you learn this year?